Now Boarding: Global Eats Taking Off at Holly High School
The school cafeteria is often one of the first places a child gets to taste and learn about foods from outside their family’s recipes or traditional cultural dishes. Highlighting the unique ingredients and authentic flavors from cuisines around the world, Chartwells K12 is launching a new program called Global Eats!
Developed by Chartwells chefs and dietitians with input from students, Global Eats turns food into a worldly adventure and encourages students to eat together and taste new foods and flavors while learning about different cultures. Global Eats will be taking off in school cafeterias this school year and we are excited to share that we’re rolling out the new program to Holly High School beginning next week.
Highlights for the Global Eats program launch include:
- Global Tour with Authentic Flavors: For our opening four-month tour, students will travel to Mexico, Italy, India and China. Each month, new menu items will be introduced featuring the unique ingredients and authentic recipes from each featured country that were created in partnership with a series of celebrity chefs who specialize in global cuisines.
- Mexico: Dishes are simple yet packed with fresh flavors like lime and cilantro and the heat of peppers and spices. Chicago-based Chef Jonathan Zaragoza, whose family owns Birrieria Zaragoza, helped develop the menu which includes Horchata Parfaits, Pork Carnitas, and Mexican Street Style Hot Dog.
- Italy: Michael Toscano, the Chef/Owner of Le Farfalle in Charleston, South Carolina and Da Toscano in New York City, collaborated on each recipe that will be featured.
- India: Delicious dishes from Chef Aarti Sequeira, cookbook author and the winner of the sixth season of The Next Food Network Star, will be offered on the Global Eats menu.
- China: Celebrity Chef Jet Tila created signature menu items for Global Eats that bring a sensory experience filled with the flavors of ginger, soy and chilis, to menu items.
The exploration continues beyond the cafeteria with the Global Eats website, www.K12GlobalEats.com, which features chef and recipe videos and fun activities for students and families. Be sure to check out Nutrislice for the most up-to-date menus as we travel through each destination!
Your Food Service Team